Monday, June 9, 2014

Birthmonth June: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, Review

Yesterday, I kind of decided that I would read and review books written by John Green, since it's June, like June Green.

I just decided a while ago that it would piss some fans off if I put June Green at the title of every post. It might be annoying, right?

So, I finally decided that I would use this month's template: Birthmonth June, even though it's some kind of corny and uncool, but since the June Green concept might annoy some fans... Okay, okay.




Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publisher: Dutton Books (Penguin)
Synopsis: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


Don't get mad at me or anything for saying this, but I watched the movie before I read the book. I actually thought that the book was boring at first, but because of my sister, I got to watch the movie, and I cried a lot.

Because I cried a lot, and enjoyed it too, I decided that I would read the book. And I thought of the June Green project of mine. So, I read it.

There was so much sarcasm in what Hazel says, and I enjoyed it. It was the right amount of sarcasm, more than enough for you not to get bored, and it wasn't annoying at all. I laughed a lot. Agustus was like a Jollibee to me, like making everyone happy. And Hazel was some sort of a bored teenager to me, which is natural, who would want cancer, anyway?

While I was reading, a thought came to my mind. John Green must have been really good. The story isn't that deep, but it had something in it, that got most of the teenagers' hearts. 

I like it how Hazel didn't deny everything. I mean, she felt what teenage minds would feel. Or at least what I would feel, or what people with minds like me would feel. There's this part in this book that goes like when unattractive people look at you endlessly, you would feel incredibly awkward, but when hot boys do-- oh well. It's true. Like how on Earth did John Green know what girls with minds like me felt like? Agustus' metaphors put some laughs on my face, like the cigarette one. (To be honest, I don't actually remember other metaphors haha) 

I cried and cried at the eulogy part, it's actually where most of the quotes are, remembering their memories.
***SPOILER*** In the movie, I cried at that part too, but it was the last of the Gus days, I cried while reading that part. I'm with some sort of a cold right now for crying. But in the book, It wasn't exactly the last, but the remaining days were some sort of boring. Like, the book would be alive without those boring days. ***SPOILER*** 

Anyway, the book is full of quotes, so I'll be designing bookmarks with those quotes! *yay*
I might be including it in my birthday giveaway if I finish it on time! :)
But, I'll be designing the blog header and blog button first. 

I don't have much to say. If this was a simpler matter, I would just say Hey, this book is awesome, read it. But I simply can't just put that in a review right? Reviews aren't describe a book in one word. So yeah.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment